Lowering Your Energy Bill for the Holidays
TXU has sent out a article about tips on lowering your energy bill for the holidays and the cold months ahead. Grab a blanket, build a fire, and get ready to save some money on your utility bills. After you read this information you will not cringe every time you plug in your Christmas lights to welcome Santa to your home.
TXU’s money saving tips are as followed;
- Set your thermostat to 68°. You’ll be comfortable and spend less on heating costs.
- Set your ceiling fans clockwise to help warm your home by pushing rising heat back down.
- Close the fireplace flue when you’re not cozying up to a fire.
- Change your filters at least once every three months and have your equipment checked annually by a professional.
- Make sure that walls and attic space are properly insulated. Adding fiberglass insulation is one of the most cost-effective savings measures.
- Close heating vents in unoccupied rooms to save 5-10% on heating costs.
- Minimize the number of times doors to the outside are opened and closed.
- Seal’em and save! Save up to 20% by installing storm windows, and reduce heat loss by sealing around regular windows.
- Save hundreds of dollars per year by replacing old windows with new ENERGY STAR®windows that can keep up to 70% of radiant heat indoors.
Bottom line: Take the chill out of your bill by closing vents in unused rooms, flues of inactive fireplaces and doors facing outside.